Work for Powervault: Systems Architect
Powervault is a leading home energy storage company based in London. We believe in a 100% clean energy system, and our mission is to make this possible by maximising home energy flexibility. We design and develop advanced home energy storage devices that help our customers reduce their bills and carbon emissions by maximising on-site use of solar ad low cost electricity from the grid. We also provide the software that allows our partners to remotely operate thousands of Powervault devices to provide services to the electricity markets and grid.
This is an opportunity to work in one of the fastest growing areas of the internet of things: energy storage and smart grid technology. We have recently secured investment and need to grow the team as we ramp up production and continue to develop the functionality of our product and infrastructure. We are a young company with a growing team, based in London Bridge in a unique working environment in the largest cluster of sustainability-focussed start-ups in Europe. We are backed by an experienced team of investors and have excellent prospects to succeed and for our product to become a familiar fixture in homes in Britain and globally.
The Systems Architect will take ownership of all technical product architecture at Powervault including the following:
- Design and maintain product architecture at a systems level to ensure that all aspects of the system function including hardware, firmware, electronics, electrics and mechanical product aspects
- Lead resolution of systems architecture related problems
- Liaise with software engineering team responsible for cloud architecture and application code
- Write specifications, test plans and provide documentation for manufacturing operations team
- Lead resolution of architecture related bugs
- Manage the electronics engineers and test engineers
Candidates will need to demonstrate experience in a role with these functions. Additionally, knowledge of battery technology, consumer product development or the energy sector would be helpful but is not essential.
- Experience of designing electronic consumer products at a system level
- Extensive knowledge of electronics, embedded software development, AC and DC power management
- Experience designing and specifying printed circuit boards and liaising with third parties to implement them
- Prior experience of battery management systems, lithium ion batteries and power electronics
- Experience working with third party suppliers of electronic components and sub-systems
- Experience with technologies including PIC / ARM Cortex M4 C language / C++ / Python / IMX6 / IMX7 / Embedded Linux (desirable) / RS485 / Ethernet
- Knowledge and experience of CE marking and meeting EMC, LVD and other standards required
- Able to create systems that operate safely and take responsibility for ensure safe design
The candidate will need to be:
- Able to deliver to deadlines and budgets while working under typical start-up constraints
- Highly motivated and prepared to operate in a dynamic early stage start-up environment
- Adaptable and self managing, high achiever
- Driven and resourceful
- Proactive and organised
The candidate will hold a BSc/BEng electronic engineering/physics degree/etc and have 5+ years experience in a similar job and 10-15 years experience in total.
A commitment to meeting the challenge of sustainable development in the UK is welcome but not critical. The candidate will be expected to appreciate and understand the principles, benefits and barriers to the deployment of distributed storage.
Electronic systems architecture
Manufacturing / Cleantech / Low Carbon
£60-70k + share options