Work for Powervault: Software Manager (hands-on)
The Software Manager will manage Powervault’s software team and take ownership of all of the software architecture including the following:
- Manage the software team and deliverables on a day to day basis
- Report on the progress of software development team
- Take ownership of the software architecture at both a systems and detailed level including the firmware (bare-metal), embedded software (OS and application code) and cloud (front end and back end)
- Work with the customer support team to diagnose and resolve software related bugs efficiently
- Write specifications, test plans and provide documentation as part of the development process
- Own the release process from development into production
- Provide technical input into grant proposals, business development related efforts, the product road-map etc
- Develop software as required to meet the requirements of the product roadmap
Candidates will need to demonstrate experience in a role with these functions. Additionally, knowledge of battery technology, consumer product development or the energy sector would be helpful but is not essential.
- Experience of designing software for electronic consumer products
- Extensive knowledge of software including:
- Bare metal firmware (PIC/ARM Cortex C/C++ language) on highly constrained micro-controllers
- Embedded Linux deployment (ideally Yocto) and development including driver development
- AWS cloud development (front end, back end, databases)
- Linux application development in Python and C
- Strong understanding of internet and networks (TCP/IP, DNS, VPN etc) and resolution of related issues
- familiarity with communications protocols/busses (I2C, RS232/422/485, Ethernet)
- software security
- Appreciation of hardware and able to interpret datasheets for software development
- Able to create systems that operate safely and take responsibility for ensuring safe design
- Previous experience leading software teams whilst project managing deliverables
The candidate will need to be:
- able to deliver to deadlines and budgets while working under typical start-up constraints
- highly motivated and prepared to operate in a dynamic early stage start-up environment
- adaptable and self managing, high achiever
- target and goal driven with a focus on quality and able to motivate the others to achieve the same
- has strong communication skills and is able to communicate at all levels of the business
- driven and resourceful with the ability to enthuse others
- not afraid to challenge or be challenged
- proactive and organised
The candidate will hold a BSc/BEng Computer Science degree/etc and have 5+ years experience in a similar job and 10-15 years experience in total.
Powervault is offering flexible working hours plus the opportunity to work remotely when the company can allow it and dependant on the nature of the role.
A commitment to meeting the challenge of sustainable development in the UK is welcome but not critical. The candidate will be expected to appreciate and understand the principles, benefits and barriers to the deployment of distributed energy storage.
Powervault is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions at Powervault are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity or any other status protected by laws or regulations.
Managing the software team and taking ownership of Powervault’s software architecture
Manufacturing / Cleantech / Low Carbon
£60k - £70k plus options
North London with some travel