Work for Powervault: Business Development Director
Powervault is a leading home energy storage company based in London. We believe in a 100% clean energy system, and our mission is to make this possible by maximising home energy flexibility. We design and develop advanced home energy storage devices that help our customers reduce their bills and carbon emissions by maximising on-site use of solar ad low cost electricity from the grid. We also provide the software that allows our partners to remotely operate thousands of Powervault devices to provide services to the electricity markets and grid.
Our product is an award-winning energy storage solution, operating in a hotly tipped growth industry. We have recently secured investment and need to grow the team as we ramp up production and continue to develop the functionality of our product and infrastructure. This is an opportunity to work in one of the fastest growing areas of the internet of things: energy storage and smart grid technology.
We are a growing team based in London Bridge in a unique working environment in the largest cluster of sustainability-focused start-ups in Europe. We are backed by an experienced team of investors and have excellent prospects to succeed as a company, and for our product to become a familiar fixture in homes in Britain and globally.
The Business Development Director will be accountable to the Managing Director and the Board for delivering the Powervault sales plan and heading up all sales and marketing activity. The successful candidate will be responsible for activities such as:
- Finding, negotiating and winning £100K-£2M sales contracts for Powervault systems through energy supplier and multi-party financed deals
- Refining and developing the sales and marketing strategy and plans in order to achieve Powervault’s growth targets
- Developing the proposition and product marketing and contributing to product development discussions
- Building long term relationships with strategic channels including social landlords, housing associations, financiers, DNO’s, grid operators and electricity suppliers
- Identifying other channel or other partnership opportunities to further Powervault’s sales. Delivering sales through third party channel relationships where appropriate.
- Creating a marketing plan to establish Powervault’s position in the market, and to generate inbound interest from resellers and other stakeholders
- Working with the commercial and technical teams to help to define compelling products and propositions
- Managing general PR to raise our profile as the UK’s leading energy storage company
- Managing and growing the business development team to ensure the team meets its target.
Candidates will need to demonstrate experience in a role with these functions. Knowledge of the electricity sector is essential. Knowledge of battery technology and consumer product development is helpful but not essential.
Potential candidates will be expected to exhibit some or all of the following characteristics:
- The ability to deliver to target with an early stage product while working under typical start-up constraints and pressures
- The ambition to exceed the sales target and own all marketing activities
- Some experience of working in a start-up environment
- A successful track record of selling an early stage product where the market is not fully established
- The gravitas necessary to build strategic relationships at senior level in major companies such as electricity suppliers and distributors
- The creativity to identify new opportunities and develop successful partnerships with a range of alternative channels
- An understanding of how to sell through 3rd parties such as resellers and partners ranging from small family firms up to corporate accounts
- The communication skills necessary to represent and speak on behalf of the Company at industry conferences and events.
The candidate will need to be:
- intellectually flexible
- sensitive to client needs
- honest, straightforward and direct, and geared to delivering more than he/she promises
- highly motivated and prepared to operate in a dynamic and fast changing environment
- adaptable and self-managing, a high achiever
- tenacious and driven
- happy to “get hands dirty” and get stuck into doing all aspects of sales and marketing as well as managing others.
A commitment to meeting the challenge of sustainable development in the UK is welcome but not critical. The candidate will be expected to appreciate and understand the principles, benefits and barriers to the deployment of distributed storage. Experience in an OEM selling into the solar industry is beneficial but not essential.
If you would like further information or wish to apply please e-mail email@example.com with your cover letter and CV, or complete the form below.
All Powervault sales and marketing activity
Manufacturing / Cleantech / Low Carbon
£60-75k (Dependent on Experience) + 20% bonus + share options
London Bridge/London with extensive travel