Work for Powervault: Customer Service Engineer
We are a new and rapidly expanding company who design and manufacture an IoT cleantech product, Powervault, which helps UK home owners store and use electricity more efficiently. The Company requires a highly talented, efficient and proactive Customer Service Engineer to join the team and support end users and installers service and manage our network of Powervault installations around the UK. This will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to work in one of the fastest-growing and exciting sectors in the cleantech / low carbon energy industry.
Powervault is the UK’s first company to offer an electricity storage system to homeowners with PV panels to help them store and use their excess solar energy more efficiently. With the introduction of smart meters and time-of-use tariffs in the next 12-18 months, electricity storage will become a compelling proposition for all households, growing Powervault’s addressable UK market from <1 million households to >20 million. The Company’s mission is to help homeowners cut their energy bills by storing zero or low cost electricity for use at times of peak demand, whilst also reducing peak grid electricity demand and carbon emissions. Government reports suggest home electricity storage can contribute to saving UK Plc £8 – £10 billion per annum off the cost of generating and distributing electricity. Powervault’s lead product is an intelligent, cloud-connected, integrated battery and control system in an attractive home appliance-style package, and is the most cost-effective home electricity storage product on the market.
Since formation in 2013, Powervault has developed its first-generation product, filed patent applications and secured over £440,000 of grant support and prizes from Innovate UK / Technology Strategy Board, Climate KIC, Nesta and the Prince’s Trust. In September 2014, Powervault launched its lead product and secured £150,000 in crowdfunding in under eight hours in the world’s fastest cleantech equity crowdfunding activity. Powervault has since raised two further rounds via crowdfunding, business angel and institutional investment totalling £2.3 million, which is funding the business most of the way to breakeven.
The electricity storage market is now entering an exciting new phase; high profile players like Tesla validate the opportunity. Powervault, the leading home electricity storage company in the UK, is aiming to grow rapidly towards a trade sale in the next 3-5 years to deliver a significant capital return to its investors and employee option-holders.
The Customer Service Engineer will report to the Commercial Director but will support the entire Powervault team with delivering impeccable technical customer service as the business continues to expand rapidly over the next 12+ months.
The role is approximately 50% office-based and 50% field-based; it will involve visiting end users (home owners), supporting Powervault Installers, troubleshooting technical faults, and helping the Company successfully deliver major customer trials.
Major tasks include:
- To quickly become the expert in the Powervault team for the installation, service and maintenance of Powervaults
- Train and approve new Powervault Installers by attending their first installation in end users’ homes
- Answer phone calls and emails from end users and Powervault Installers with technical questions relating to Powervault (approx. 2 days per week)
- Support the sales team to answer technical questions (keeping an up to date FAQ list and training the team to deal with questions during the sales process)
- Visit customer sites to troubleshoot Powervault issues and/or warranty claims
- Recruit and train a national team of electricians to be service and maintenance providers for Powervault as the Company grows
- Develop a processes to manage a national team of electricians and provide them with information such as: product training updates, regular troubleshooting tips, risk assessments, feedback forms
- Continue to develop our customer facing technical communications with the marketing team, e.g. Installation video, Installation Manual, Technical Data sheets
- Support delivery and installation of major customer trials and manage the monitoring process
- Work with the Software Team to support the continuous improvement of our End User and Installer portal to ensure it answers their questions
- Suggest design and logistics changes which make the Powervault installation process cheaper, quicker and easier
- Have a close relationship with the Company’s end users and Installers so that you become the source for suggested product improvements and can help inform the Company’s product development roadmap
The ideal Customer Service Engineer will be expected to exhibit some or all of the following characteristics:
- Has a strong technical background
- Possesses a minimum of 2 years work experience
- Is a qualified electrician
- Has a good understanding of electronics and is able to understand the components and workings of Powervault
- Has a strong customer service ethos and has experience in dealing with domestic customers, possibly as a service engineer
- Has a strong focus on safety
- Has a desire to work both in and out of the office environment
- Is a problem solver who enjoys a challenge and never gives up until a problem is fixed
- Is happy to multi-task
- Is highly motivated and prepared to operate in a dynamic and ever changing environment
- Is adaptable and self managing
- Is tenacious and driven, and able to deliver to deadlines
- Is proactive and organised
- Has a full UK driving licence and is able to drive a car/small van (ESSENTIAL)
Customer Service Engineer; 50% office-based, 50% field-based
Energy / Cleantech / Low Carbon / Manufacturing
£25k - £30k (dependent on experience)
London, with widespread travel around the UK